Can We Reclaim Insurance Premium Tax?

The tax credit for premiums

– commonly known as the Premium Tax Credit – is a refundable credit that assists eligible people and families in paying for health insurance through the Health Insurance Marketplace.

Can I claim insurance premium tax back?

Insurance Premium Tax (IPT) is a fee charged by insurers in addition to the cost of your insurance policy. Depending on the sort of insurance you choose, you may be charged a cost of 12 percent or 20%.

In the last two days, two different consumers have inquired about claiming IPT.

IPT is levied at a rate of 20% when you buy a mechanical item that comes with an insurance coverage.

It is presumed that because this rate is the same as the VAT rate, it is VAT that can be claimed back.

It isn’t, and it isn’t possible to claim it.

IPT is an additional insurance expense that should be added to the insurance cost to get the entire cost of insurance.

Despite being divided on your invoice or receipt, the two expenses do not need to be separated in your accounts because they are one cost.

This is due to the fact that insurers are required to disclose the rate and amount of IPT.

Insurance and the IPT you are charged are permitted business expenses that can be deducted from your net profit by deducting them from your turnover.

Insurance companies that must charge IPT must register with HMRC and file returns every three months.

VAT liability of insurance transactions

VAT is not charged on insurance transactions. Normally, VAT cannot be reclaimed on goods and services purchased to make exempt supplies; for additional information, see paragraph 7.1.

Some premiums earned under insurance contracts are subject to IPT. It’s important not to mix up IPT and VAT; they’re two completely different taxes. For VAT reasons, the word ‘insurance transaction’ differs from the term ‘insurance contract’ for IPT purposes. IPT, unlike VAT, is not refundable. Notice IPT1: Insurance Premium Tax contains more information on IPT.

What insurance is

There is no formal definition of insurance, but earlier judicial decisions that have explored the essential character of insurance can provide help.

In general, if an activity requires the provider to be authorised as an insurer under the terms of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000, it is considered insurance for VAT reasons (FSMA).

Furthermore, despite the fact that certain funeral plan contracts are not regulated as insurance under the FSMA insurance regulatory rules, HMRC accepts that they constitute insurance (and thus exempt from VAT). In paragraph 3.5, you’ll find further information on funeral plans.

Even though providers are exempt from the FSMA’s requirement to be authorised, vehicle breakdown insurance is nonetheless considered insurance. In paragraph 3.6, more information about vehicle breakdown services is provided.


A reinsurance contract is one in which an original insurer is compensated by a reinsurer for a risk that the original insurer has taken on. Unless otherwise specified, all references to insurance in this notice should be interpreted to include reinsurance.

The regulation of insurance

The Financial Services and Markets Act (FSMA) governs the regulation of financial services in the United Kingdom, including insurance. The FSMA took effect on December 1, 2001, and replaced the Insurance Companies Act of 1982, which had previously regulated insurance.

The FSMA makes it illegal for UK businesses to enter into insurance contracts without being authorized to do so (with the exception of certain bodies specifically granted exemption from the need for authorisation). The Financial Conduct Authority is in charge of regulating businesses and unincorporated organisations under section 19 of the FSMA (FCA).

The FSMA (Regulated Activities Order) 2001 establishes the activities that are subject to the Act’s regulations. There are various types of insurance risks, each with its own set of regulatory requirements. Insurers can be authorized to insure all types of risks or only certain types of risks.

An insurance firm is prohibited from engaging in activities in the UK or elsewhere that are not related to or for the purposes of its insurance business under section 19 of the FSMA.

Insurance supplied by unauthorised insurers

Until March 1997, the VAT exemption was only available to enterprises that were authorised (or exempted from being authorised) under UK regulatory laws. However, in the case of Card Protection Plan Ltd (CPP), the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) concluded that the UK could not limit its VAT exemption to authorised insurers.

This means that insurance provided by unlicensed insurers is VAT-free. Such businesses may be prosecuted under the FSMA, and we may report matters to the FCA if they come to our attention.

Insurance transactions affected by holders of block policies

The CJEU’s ruling in CPP has ramifications for block insurance policyholders who make supplies. CPP was the owner of a block insurance policy, and the insurer gave them permission to arrange for their clients to be covered by the policy. CPP was found to be supplying insurance transactions to their consumers despite not being an insurer themselves, according to the CJEU.

We regard supplies made by block policyholders as insurance transactions for the purposes of the VAT exemption, notwithstanding the fact that they would not be considered insurance for regulatory reasons, following the CJEU ruling.

This means that when block policyholders perform insurance transactions, they are acting as principals rather than as intermediaries arranging insurance supply.

What a block policy is

The CJEU coined the phrase “block policy” to describe CPP’s position. We’re aware that the word might refer to a variety of policies in the insurance market. Other terminology, such as’master policy,’ can also be used to denote the type of policy possessed by CPP. It’s crucial to understand what we mean when we use the phrase ‘block policy’ in relation to the CJEU decision in CPP and its broader implications for the insurance exemption in this area.

  • The block policyholder and the insurer have an agreement that allows the block policyholder to obtain insurance coverage under specified conditions.
  • The block policyholder obtains insurance coverage for third parties from the insurer in their own name.
  • The insurance is obtained through a contractual connection between the block policyholder and third parties.
  • When it comes to providing insurance to third parties, the block policyholder takes the position of the insurer.

In the sector, this type of policy is very frequent. A block policy is typically taken out by a supplier of goods or services to cover a number of small transactions over a set period of time. For example, a removal company might take out a block policy to provide its customers with insurance against the risk of damage to their belongings during a house move.

Block or’master’ plans are also used by membership groups to obtain insurance coverage on behalf of their members. For example, a pony club may utilize a block policy to provide coverage against the risk of damage or liability for another’s injury when participating in equestrian activities.

A block policy may cover both the risks of the block policyholder and those of their customers. For example, a moving company may purchase a policy to cover both its own risk of damaging its customers’ property as well as its customers’ risk of damage to their property for which the moving company is not responsible.

The ‘policy holder’ on a block insurance policy is often the business that takes out the policy, with the ‘persons insured’ being the policyholder’s clients. The contract may refer to the ‘persons insured’ as the company that purchased the policy and its clients, rather than mentioning each individual customer.

The policyholder pays the insurer a premium based on the previous year’s trading, with changes made at the end of the year when the precise number of people covered under the policy is known.

VAT implications for supplies made by block policyholders

Instead of providing insurance-related services as middlemen, block policyholders provide VAT-exempt insurance transactions as principals.

This means that if you’re a block policyholder, rather than just the amount of any commission or charge you receive, the entire consideration you receive in respect of your own services and the acquisition of insurance cover for your customers becomes income of your firm.

This could affect your partial exemption method’s computation of recoverable input tax (see Partial exemption method) (VAT Notice 706).

There could also be ramifications for the VAT treatment of insurance transactions involving other goods or services, as indicated in paragraph 4.6.

What insurance can you claim on tax?

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) permits you to recover the costs of income protection premiums for insurance purchased outside of Superannuation. As a result, if your super package includes income protection, the premium is not tax deductible. The costs of insurance that isn’t part of your Super are deductible.

(This means that moving income protection out of your super and into a private policy makes sense for many people.)

Do I have to pay insurance premium tax?

Is it necessary for vehicle insurance customers to pay Insurance Premium Tax? Yes, consumers’ premiums include IPT, and any increases will have a direct impact on the amount they pay. It is not, however, a fixed price that applies to all policies: IPT has the greatest impact on those with the highest premiums.

Who is liable for insurance premium tax?

It is borne by the policyholder, but the insurer collects and pays it to HMRC using three-month accounting periods. Although it is common to allude to IPT being charged in terms of a premium, this is not technically correct.

What is the purpose of insurance premium tax?

Why is it necessary to pay IPT? IPT brings in money for the government. When consumers pay their premiums, the insurance company must pay the government the tax – either 12 percent or 20% – earned on the premium.

What is insurance premium tax used for?

The Insurance Premium Tax (IPT) is a tax on all types of insurance premiums, such as car, home, and pet insurance. IPT is applied to travel insurance, electrical appliance insurance, and some automobile insurance at two rates: a standard rate of 12 percent and a higher rate of 20 percent.

Why do insurance companies not pay VAT?

Businesses are frequently afraid that they may be required to account for VAT on money received from insurance companies. There’s no need to be concerned; the insurance payout is recognized as compensation and is so exempt from VAT.