Will FEMA Pay My Insurance Deductible?

FEMA provides financial assistance to eligible applicants who are uninsured or underinsured, but only after an insurance settlement has been reached. Financial aid for temporary housing and house repairs, low-interest loans to cover uninsured property damages, and other programs to help individuals and businesses recover from the disaster may be available as part of disaster assistance. FEMA is unable to replicate insurance benefits or pay your deductible.

Will FEMA reimburse me for my deductible?

Call FEMA’s toll-free teleregistration line to register for disaster assistance:

The toll-free teleregistration line for FEMA is receiving more calls than it has in the agency’s history. Although more contact centers and operators have been deployed, the volume of calls continues to be extraordinarily high. If you phone to register and get a busy signal, please be patient and call again a few hours later. It’s also a good idea to call late at night or early in the morning when call volume is usually lower.

Commercial property owners and residents who have only modest losses are advised to wait a few days before calling so that individuals whose homes have been destroyed or severely damaged can be served first. Before phoning to report damages and, if required, request an advance or partial payment of their compensation, hurricane victims with insurance coverage should contact their insurance company or agent.

1. QUESTION: What happens after a disaster relief application is submitted? Alternatively, how long does it take to obtain disaster aid?

ANSWER: A competent inspector will contact you within ten days of your FEMA application to schedule a time to inspect your disaster damages. Your losses will be kept track of and reported to the Individuals and Households Program (IHP). You should get a determination on whether or not you qualify for IHP assistance in around ten days. The US Small Business Administration (SBA) will call you and set up an appointment to assess your catastrophe-related losses if you have been referred for a disaster loan.

Within ten days after the inspector’s visit, you should receive a U.S. Treasury/State check or notification of a deposit to your bank account if you are qualified for assistance. Other sorts of assistance may be provided later, depending on eligibility and need.

2. QUESTION: Should I start cleaning up after the inspectors arrive?

ANSWER: You are permitted to clean prior to the inspection. Before you clean, take photos of the damage if feasible. Always preserve receipts for all of your purchases.


ANSWER: FEMA reimburses only a portion of living expenditures incurred during evacuations. The home from which you are displaced must be your principal residence in order to be eligible for reimbursement of living expenses spent during evacuations. Furthermore, the residence must have been damaged by the disaster or you must be prevented from returning to the home once the disaster’s general evacuation order has been revoked. To determine if the cost is reimbursed, you should register and submit your receipts. These requests are evaluated on a case-by-case basis by FEMA.

4. QUESTION: I recently bought a generator. Will I be compensated?

ANSWER: FEMA considers each request for reimbursement of the generator’s cost on an individual basis, determining if the generator was purchased to alleviate a disaster-related hardship, injury, or unfavorable condition. To determine if the cost is reimbursed, you should register and submit your receipts.

5. QUESTION: Can I get assistance for my car that has been damaged?

ANSWER: Of course. You must register the vehicle and submit proof of ownership as well as insurance information.

6. QUESTION: Will FEMA cover the costs of moving and storage?

ANSWER: If the costs of relocating and storage are directly related to the disaster, they may be paid. To determine if the cost is reimbursed, you should register and submit your receipts.

7. QUESTION: My destroyed home was a second home for me. Is catastrophe help available to me?

ANSWER: FEMA’s disaster aid program does not cover damage to second houses or vacation homes. FEMA, on the other hand, will assess your non-housing losses on a case-by-case basis to establish eligibility.

8. QUESTION: I was unable to eat due to a power outage; will I get compensated?

ANSWER: Food losses are not covered by FEMA’s disaster aid program. Volunteer groups in the disaster region may be able to assist you with your emergency food needs.

9. QUESTION: How do I track down a loved one who has gone missing?

QUESTION: I have health insurance; are I eligible for help?

ANSWER: FEMA will not be able to assist you in the same way that your insurance carrier can. If you still have significant unmet requirements after receiving your insurance settlement, FEMA may be able to help you, depending on program guidelines.

11. QUESTION: Should I apply for FEMA assistance before reaching an agreement with my insurance company?

ANSWER: Please call your insurance agent as soon as possible to file a claim if you have not already done so. Failure to file a claim with your insurance company could jeopardize your FEMA eligibility. FEMA advises anyone who has suffered disaster damage to call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) (hearing/speech impaired call 1-800-462-7585).

12. QUESTION: My insurance company and I are unable to come to an agreement on a settlement. Is it possible for me to collect FEMA funds in the meantime?

ANSWER: If you and the insurance carrier are unable to reach an agreement, you should send any insurance information you have to FEMA. FEMA will assess your eligibility based on the information you provide and may be able to help.

13. QUESTION: Do FEMA’s programs cover insurance deductibles?

ANSWER: Insurance deductibles are not covered by FEMA. FEMA may be able to assist if the insurance funds are insufficient to pay critical expenses or serious requirements.


ANSWER: If a State, local, tribal, or eligible private nonprofit (PNP) organization suffered damage as a result of the hurricane, they must complete and submit a Request for Public Assistance (FEMA Form 90-49) to the State Emergency Management within 30 days of the date the affected area was declared or designated. The form will be available at the State and FEMA-hosted Applicants’ Briefings. Visit the FEMA website at http://www.fema.gov/rrr/pa/9521 3.shtm for a list of qualified PNPs.


ANSWER: You must be a U.S. citizen, a non-citizen national, or a qualified alien to be eligible for FEMA cash aid. Undocumented immigrants, on the other hand, can petition on behalf of their minor children who are citizens and have a social security number. FEMA can give you instructions on how to get a social security number for your minor child. The minor child must live with the parent or guardian who is submitting the application on their behalf.

For Crisis Counseling, Disaster Legal Services, or other non-cash emergency help, the undocumented applicant does not need to be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien. Regardless of immigration status, voluntary agency aid is available.

16. QUESTION: Am I qualify for FEMA help if I am an undocumented immigrant?

ANSWER: You may be qualified for FEMA’s non-cash, short-term disaster assistance. You will not be directly eligible for help under the Individuals and Households Program (IHP); but, you may be eligible if you have a child who is a US citizen or another adult residing in your home who fits the citizenship criterion.


ANSWER: To receive cash assistance from the Individuals and Households Program, you must be a U.S. citizen, a non-citizen national, or a Qualified Alien.

What does FEMA pay for?

People and Households Program (IHP): FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program (IHP) provides financial and direct services to disaster-affected individuals and households who have uninsured or underinsured necessary expenses and serious needs. Individuals and families can get help.

What kind of losses does FEMA cover?

FEMA assistance is different from insurance in that it only covers the necessities for a safe, hygienic, and functional home. FEMA support will not make you whole again, but it will assist you in your recovery. FEMA disaster assistance typically only covers basic needs and does not compensate you for your total loss.

Hurricane Ida must have caused property destruction. FEMA inspectors may contact survivors who have submitted an application to schedule an inspection.

Examples of Safe, Sanitary and Functional Repairs to Make a Home Fit to Live in:

  • Property: FEMA may be able to help with the replacement or repair of disaster-damaged HVAC, A/C, and refrigeration systems, as well as refrigerators and stoves. Utilities such as electricity, plumbing, and gas systems are all viable repairs that may be covered. Dishwashers and home theater systems, for example, are not insured.
  • FEMA subsidies may be used to repair disaster-related roof leaks that damage ceilings and jeopardize electrical components such as overhead lighting, but they will not cover simple stains from roof leaks.
  • Floors: FEMA funds can be utilized to repair a disaster-damaged subfloor in occupied areas of a home, but not for floor coverings such as tile or carpet.
  • FEMA funding may help with broken windows caused by disasters, but not blinds or curtains.

Other FEMA support could include temporary lodging expenditures if a survivor’s home is uninhabitable, or assistance with replacing vital household items.

FEMA’s projections on what it may cover vary because each survivor’s scenario is unique. Repairs that go above what is required to make a home safe, sanitary, and functional are not eligible. Assistance is contingent on a number of variables, including insurance coverage and, in certain cases, financial ability to pay.

How can I get out of paying my deductible?

You’ll have to pay your deductible before you can obtain your insurance claim money. If you don’t have the funds available right now, you may decide not to file a claim. You might take your time filing a claim if your car is working after an accident but only has cosmetic damage. That way, you can save up for your deductible before filing a claim. When you can’t afford your deductible, you have a few options:

Does FEMA pay for car damage?

AUSTIN, TX (KTRK) – If your car has been damaged as a result of the severe storms and flooding that occurred in Hidalgo and Cameron counties from June 21 to July 13, 2018, auto insurance and the US Small Business Administration (SBA) are the major resources available to assist you with repairs or replacement.

If you have comprehensive coverage, start by filing a claim with your insurance company. Storm-related damage to a car is normally covered by comprehensive policies. For people whose insurance does not cover all or all storm-related damage expenditures, federal disaster assistance may be able to help fill in the gaps.

Apply for a low-interest SBA catastrophe loan if you are underinsured or uninsured.

If you are unable to receive aid from insurance or the SBA, you may be eligible for FEMA’s Other Needs Assistance (ONA) program. However, help is often limited to one car; if you have more than one vehicle and at least one of them is operational, FEMA will not provide assistance unless the additional vehicle can be justified. Cosmetic damage (damage that does not impede the vehicle’s drivability or safe operation) is not eligible for FEMA help.

Only individuals who have at least liability insurance will be considered for federal disaster aid for car repair or replacement. The minimum insurance required for Texas drivers is liability coverage, which does not cover storm-related damage. Survivors who register must show proof of liability insurance to FEMA in order to be considered for federal disaster aid to repair or replace their vehicles.

Go to https://www.disasterassistance.gov/ to start the application process for assistance with storm-related car damage.

  • A written statement of need for more than one operational vehicle is necessary if you have more than one storm-damaged car. Include the number of vehicles, an insurance settlement or statement, and why having more than one operating vehicle is important for your household transportation needs.
  • If your vehicle is farm equipment, such as a tractor, contact your local Farm Services Agency office or go to www.fsa.usda.gov/programs-and-services/disaster-help-program/index to learn more about the USDA disaster aid program.

Do I have to pay back FEMA money?

Q: Is it typical for extra FEMA help to take longer than two months after a disaster?

On May 8, 2018, a disaster declaration was granted for Public Assistance, which reimburses state and local governments for repairs to damaged public infrastructure and disaster response costs. At the time, the damage and repercussions on individuals did not surpass the state and local resources’ capabilities. In June, the state submitted more supporting evidence to FEMA, and on June 27, 2018, the Individual Assistance program was approved and added to the current disaster designation.

Homeowners, renters, private nonprofits, and businesses in Kaua’i County and the City and County of Honolulu who suffered damage or losses to their primary residences, vehicles, or personal property as a result of severe storms, flooding, landslides, and mudslides from April 13 to April 16 can apply for disaster assistance.

For disaster-damaged or destroyed property, homeowners, renters, private nonprofits, and company owners (including landlords) may be eligible for low-interest disaster loans from the US Small Business Administration. The SBA also offers businesses and private nonprofits Economic Injury (working capital) disaster loans to help them meet financial obligations that are unable to be satisfied as a direct result of the disaster.

Many homeowners have already began the process of rehabilitation and cleanup following the hurricane. Please take photos of any damage to your home and retain receipts for any repairs. Make sure you contact your insurance carrier to file a claim and learn more about what your coverage may cover. FEMA is prohibited by law from duplicating benefits provided by insurance or any government agency.

Damages to personal items must be verified as well. If you are unable to check your personal property, a technician statement, photographs, and receipts may be used to verify damages.

Homeowners, renters, private NGOs, and business owners that meet the criteria can apply in one of the following ways:

The DRCs in Hanalei and Honolulu are open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays. On Sundays, the DRCs are closed. Both DRCs will lock its doors at the end of business on Saturday, July 28, 2018.

  • Applicants can also contact 800-621-3362 if they use 711 or Video Relay Service. Call 800- 462-7585 if you are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech disability and use a TTY.

Applicants can apply for SBA low-interest disaster loans in person at a disaster recovery center or online through the SBA’s secure website at https://disasterloan.sba.gov/ela.

Applicants can also acquire more information about SBA disaster aid by calling the SBA’s toll-free number.

Paper applications are available upon request, and should be addressed to the US Small Business Administration, Processing and Disbursement Center, 14925 Kingsport Road, Fort Worth, TX 76155.

Representatives from FEMA and the US Small Business Administration work in the Disaster Recovery Centers. Survivors can meet with catastrophe recovery specialists one-on-one.

  • Get answers to your questions about the application process or assistance with the first registration process.
  • Check the status of an application, update personal contact information, or provide FEMA help specialists with insurance information or other essential documents to complete your case.
  • Find out what to do if your application for FEMA aid is denied.
  • Speak with a customer service person from the US Small Business Administration about low-interest disaster loans for businesses, private charities, homeowners, and renters;

All of the centers are wheelchair accessible and equipped with the necessary equipment to help disaster survivors with access and/or functional needs. If an American Sign Language Interpreter is required, please contact the DRC Manager so that we may make arrangements.

Grants may be available to help with interim housing, necessary house repairs, destroyed home replacement, uninsured and underinsured personal property losses, disaster-related medical, dental, and burial expenses, and other major disaster-related expenses, such as childcare.

Benefits from insurance or another agency cannot be duplicated through FEMA programs. Financial aid is limited and may not be sufficient to restore your home to its pre-disaster state.

The federal government’s major source of money for long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property is the Small Business Administration (SBA). The Small Business Administration (SBA) assists small businesses, private non-profit organizations, homeowners, and renters with funding for repairs and rebuilding, as well as the expense of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property. These disaster loans pay damages that aren’t entirely covered by insurance or other sources of recovery, and they don’t duplicate the advantages of other agencies or organizations.

Individuals and homeowners who were impacted by the disaster have until Saturday, July 28, 2018 to apply for federal disaster relief as a result of the extreme rains, flooding, mudslides, and landslides that occurred in April. You can register online or call FEMA’s toll-free number seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Q: After the storms, I registered with the city, county, and voluntary agencies; am I also registered with FEMA?

No, on June 27, 2018, the Individual Assistance program was approved and added to the existing disaster declaration. You are not enrolled with FEMA if you registered with another agency before June 27th. You can register on the DRC’s website, over the phone, or in person.

If your home or its contents are damaged or destroyed, and you are uninsured or underinsured, a FEMA inspector may call you within 10 days of filing your application to set up a meeting to verify damages. All inspectors have photo identification that proves they work for the US government.

FEMA will work with you to inspect your home if it was destroyed or is inaccessible in order to assess the damage.

FEMA will evaluate if you qualify for assistance 10 days following the inspection. FEMA will send you a cheque or put it in your bank account if you qualify. FEMA will also send you a letter outlining how the monies will be used.

Other agencies’ disaster aid programs may demand further verifications.

A utility or credit card bill, or other first-class mail addressed to you and displaying the damaged property as your address, a pay stub, or a current driver’s license are all acceptable proofs of occupancy to FEMA.

The application for an SBA catastrophe loan is an important stage in the recovery process. To be considered for a low-interest loan and other sorts of federal aid, survivors should fill out and submit the application. These loans are the primary source of finance for the recovery effort.

If a loan is provided, there is no duty to accept it. If the SBA determines that you do not qualify for a disaster loan, you may be sent to FEMA for additional help.

If you were recommended to the SBA by FEMA, you must complete the SBA application process, even if the SBA declines your application, in order to be referred back to FEMA for further assistance.

No, FEMA assistance is not taxable income and does not have to be repaid. Social Security, Medicaid, and other safety-net programs are unaffected.

Yes. SBA disaster loans with low interest rates must be repaid. These low-interest disaster loans have 30-year repayment schedules.

Most disaster relief programs are only designed to address basic requirements and are not intended to compensate you for all of your losses. Some people may be eligible for more than one program, therefore you may be eligible for further support from another organization.

Q: Why should I register with FEMA if I already have insurance and others are in need of assistance more than I am?

Even if you had insurance, it’s possible that you were underinsured and had unmet needs. If you were harmed by the storms, contact FEMA and register so that they can verify your eligibility.

Q: What should I do if I disagree with FEMA’s eligibility determination or the help provided?

Residents of Kaua’i County and the City and County of Honolulu who have registered for disaster assistance with FEMA have the right to dispute any judgments made by the agency about their eligibility or the aid they received. Applicants have 60 days to file an appeal from the date on FEMA’s determination letter.

No, the FEMA program does not cover food loss. If you are in need of a meal in an emergency, call your local Red Cross Chapter. The DRC’s voluntary groups may be able to assist you with your food needs.

No, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is not allowed to offer such payments. Local charitable organizations, on the other hand, may be able to assist for a limited time. For a reference to the proper agency in your area, we recommend contacting the Red Cross or your local United Way office.

Q: I heard that Disaster Survivor Assistance (DSA) teams are coming door to door; who are they and when will they come to my house?

DSA crews have been working with Honolulu City and County, as well as Kaua’i County, to identify houses that have been impacted by the April storms. The teams are doing outreach in afflicted areas and have visited roughly 600 houses so far. They can do FEMA registrations on an iPad and have registered almost 100 survivors to date. They will ask for personal information such as your SSN, annual income, account number and routing number, and the names of the inhabitants of the impacted property during this procedure. FEMA Badges will be used to identify teams. After attempting to reach individuals and homeowners affected by the tragedy, the DSA teams will end their outreach on July 20, 2018.

Q: I’m a self-employed person who is currently unemployed. Do I qualify for unemployment benefits due to a natural disaster?

FEMA-funded Disaster Unemployment Assistance, administered by the State Department of Labor and Industrial Relations, provides benefits to workers who would not otherwise be eligible for unemployment benefits, such as farmers, farm workers, and self-employed individuals. Individuals who were living or working in the afflicted area at the time of the major disaster, as well as those who were in the area at the time of the major disaster.

DUA benefits may be available to those who have been laid off as a direct result of the catastrophic disaster and do not qualify for ordinary unemployment insurance. Workers who have been laid off as a result of the tragedy can file for regular unemployment insurance benefits online. Go to http://labor.hawaii.gov for more information. Applications for the DUA must be filed by August 2, 2018.

Survivors of the state of Hawaii’s two newly proclaimed disasters in Hawaii County for the Kilauea Volcano eruption and Kauai County and Cityand County of Honolulu for extreme storms, flooding, landslides, and mudslides from April 13, 2018 can now call a toll-free legal aid hotline.

Does FEMA cover hotel expenses?

If you live in one of the 25 FEMA-designated parishes and incurred short-term accommodation costs as a result of Hurricane Ida, you may be eligible for compensation.

FEMA may be able to compensate you for out-of-pocket lodging expenses not covered by insurance, such as additional living expenses or loss of use. To be considered, the survivor’s primary dwelling must be uninhabitable, inaccessible, or affected by an extended disaster-caused utility outage.

FEMA is prohibited by law from duplicating insurance benefits. Additional Living Expenses or Loss of Use coverage, which is a benefit that gives supplemental money to meet higher expenditures, such as temporary housing, when you are unable to remain in your home due to a covered loss, may be included in your insurance policy.

FEMA may only consider lodging expense reimbursement (LER) if the applicant has not received accommodation assistance from any other source (e.g., a volunteer group) for the dates the applicant is requesting LER.

To be considered for LER, applicants must submit verifiable lodging receipts or itemized statements that include the following information: the applicant’s or co-name, applicant’s the lodging provider’s information (name, address, and phone number), the dates of occupancy, and the amount of expenses incurred.

Answer: Applicant’s receipts can be uploaded to their DisasterAssistance.gov account online. The registration number and DR-4611-LA should appear on all documents. Instructions on how to upload your documents can be found here. This data is available in a variety of languages.

Survivors can also send their information to FEMA at P.O. Box 10055, Hyattsville, MD 20782-8055.

When can I expect to be reimbursed for my qualified lodging costs?

Answer: Processing staff manually reviews LER requests. It can take one to two months for larger-scale disasters, such as Hurricane Ida, to receive payment when invoices are submitted.

Is it possible to get paid for food or transportation expenses when staying at a hotel?

No, the answer is no. The cost of a room and any taxes levied by a hotel or other lodging provider may be considered eligible expenses. Food, phone calls, transportation, and other other expenses are not included.

Question: Can I receive compensated for any expenses incurred when staying with friends or family?

No, you will not be compensated for lodging expenditures paid when staying with relatives or friends.

No, LER reimburses out-of-pocket lodging charges (lodging and tax) that are not covered by insurance benefits such as additional living expenses or loss of use.

While a victim is unable to live in their primary residence, rental aid is money that can be used to pay for another place to live or stay. Rental aid is given directly to the tenant or homeowner who qualifies. The rental awards are determined by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Fair Market Rent rates for a specific housing location.

No, LER reimburses out-of-pocket lodging charges (lodging and tax) that are not covered by insurance benefits such as additional living expenses or loss of use. Assistance is not given directly to the hotel or up front to the survivor, but is returned to the survivor once receipts are supplied that prove the out-of-pocket price was expended.

When other housing options are unavailable following a presidentially declared catastrophe, TSA allows eligible survivors to stay temporarily in partner hotels or motels. TSA-eligible applicants are not reimbursed for their lodging expenses. FEMA pays the partnering accommodation provider directly for the stay.

Ascension, Assumption, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Iberia, Iberville, Jefferson, Lafourche, Livingston, Orleans, Plaquemines, Pointe Coupee, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. Helena, St. James, St. John the Baptist, St. Martin, St. Mary, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Terrebonne, Washington, West Baton Rouge, and West Feliciana are among the 25 parish

Apply online at DisasterAssistance.gov or call 800-621-3362 to speak with a FEMA representative (TTY: 800-462-7585) 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Give FEMA the number for any relay services you utilize, such as video relay service (VRS), captioned telephone service, or others.

Why does FEMA deny claims?

  • You have 60 days from the date on the determination letter you received to file an appeal if you believe you were refused aid in error.
  • Before you can appeal FEMA’s decision, you must first understand why your application was denied. In most cases, FEMA declines applications due to a lack of information, thus getting approval might be as simple as providing additional information about yourself and your principal house.

What does FEMA consider miscellaneous items?

FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program includes Other Needs Assistance (ONA), which provides financial assistance after a disaster to address necessary expenses and serious needs not covered by insurance or other sources. Transportation, childcare, and medical and dental expenses are examples of these requirements. A comprehensive list of Other Needs Assistance can be found below.

  • Residents must first apply for a low-interest catastrophe loan from the US Small Business Administration for the first two categories of assistance – transportation and personal property. If a loan is denied or does not cover all of the applicant’s needs, they may be eligible for a FEMA grant to replace or repair transportation and/or personal items.
  • Transportation: To be eligible for aid in repairing or replacing a vehicle, it must have been damaged by the disaster and be no longer operational or safe to drive. Cosmetic fixes, such as tiny dents or scratches, are not covered. There are also the following conditions:
  • The car had to have been damaged in a federally declared disaster area.
  • Typically, assistance is limited to one car. If the household has a second working vehicle, the applicant must attest in writing that the damaged vehicle is necessary for daily home use.
  • The vehicle must be registered and insured in accordance with state regulations.
  • The sum allocated for repair and replacement is determined by the extent of the damage as well as the state and local government’s repair and replacement value at the time of the disaster.
  • Estimates, bills, and receipts for labor charges to repair and/or replace parts, servicing, and towing expenses are required for reimbursement.
  • Personal Property: To repair or replace critical household objects, such as furniture and appliances, as well as specialized tools and protective clothes that an employer requires.
  • Specific accessibility features outlined by the Americans with Disabilities Act are also covered, but they do not count towards an applicant’s financial ONA cap.
  • To be considered for the following forms of assistance, survivors do not need to apply for an SBA loan first.
  • Moving and Storage Assistance: To prevent further damage, personal necessary home goods must be relocated and stored from the damaged primary residence.
  • Medical and Dental Assistance: To help with medical or dental expenditures incurred as a result of the disaster, such as injury, illness, the loss of prescribed medication and equipment, insurance co-payments, or the loss or injury of a service animal.
  • Funeral Assistance: Assistance is offered to qualifying people and households who have incurred or may incur expenses associated to a death or disinterment as a result of a proclaimed emergency or significant catastrophe, either directly or indirectly.
  • Miscellaneous: To compensate for eligible things acquired or rented after a catastrophe incidence to aid in the disaster recovery of an applicant, such as gaining entry to the property or assisting with cleaning operations. A chainsaw, dehumidifier, and smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are examples of eligible products recognized by the state, territory, or tribal government.
  • Apply for ONA: You do not need to apply for ONA separately if you have previously applied for Housing Assistance through FEMA. If not, dial 800-621-3362 to reach the FEMA Helpline (TTY 800-462-7585), Lines are open seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. local time. Give FEMA the number for any relay services you utilize, such as video relay service (VRS), captioned telephone service, or others. Other options for submitting an application include visiting www.disasterassistance.gov or downloading the FEMA App to your smartphone or tablet.